I’d like to introduce you to a blogging friend of mine, Alli from An Alli Event! She is creative, genuine and funny. I’ve followed her blog for quite some time now and it is an honor to have her as a guest on my blog. Here are her 3 tips for organizing your home. Take it away, Alli!
I love the feeling of accomplishment I get when I clean out a closet, the kitchen pantry or reorganize an entire room. And I always promise myself that the space will stay clutter free. Yeah. Right. In a perfect world.
I adopted the mantra “Everything has a place and everything should be in its place” many years ago. I just wish my kids and husband would adopt that saying, too.
Here are my three tips for keeping a space clean, organized and clutter free!
1. Everything must have its own space!
Identify what’s important to you and find a home for those items. Use the 80/20 rule – We only use about 20% of what we own. The other 80% is something we once used, or think we may use someday. Get rid of things you don’t use.
I find that areas stay cluttered when there is no rhyme nor reason for that particular area. When we take the time and find a space for something, it’s easier to put it back where it belongs. Which brings me to #2.
2. It only takes a few extra seconds to put things back where they belong.
Take my walk-in closet in my bedroom for example. It would stay neat and tidy if I always put my shoes back where they belonged instead of sometimes kicking them off and leaving them wherever they happen to land. The same goes for putting clothing where they belong: the dirty clothes hamper, a hanger or the dry clean hamper.
It’s so much easier to clean the kitchen while you prepare a meal and finish up as soon as you’re done eating.
3. Just touch it once!
I have a small table right beside the entry door. It has a bowl for the keys and a basket with slots for the mail. As soon as I walk in the door the keys go into the bowl and the mail is deposited in the basket. Junk mail is disposed of instead of stuck somewhere to accumulate.
I always know where my keys are because I only touched them once. I don’t leave them on the kitchen counter or on my dresser. They always go in the bowl. My keys are not old like the following picture, but don’t you just love the antique bowl and the rusted old keys?
Helpful Hint: Years ago I read a book on organizing that used the acronym “SPACE” and it goes right along with my 3 tips for organizing.
I hope these 3 tips for organizing your home have helped you to become better organized. What’s your best organizing tip?